Goodbye, David
The Invaders fanfiction



Disclaimer: The Invaders, its universe and characters belong to their legal owners, who unfortunately aren't me. This is an unofficial fanfiction that is not officially endorsed in any way. It was written solely for enjoyment and I make no money with it.

Title
Goodbye, David
Status
Completed (30th June 2021)
Genre
Science-fiction
Rating / warnings
Non-graphic deaths, implied mass murder.
Spoilers
Spoilers for Summit Meeting parts 1 and 2.
Characters
David Vincent, Ellie Markham, Chancellor Pierre Alquist, minor appearance of other characters from the episode
Summary

At the most important summit meeting of the century, David and his one-off alien ally Ellie Markham fight to stop her people's plot to assassinate the world leaders in one fell swoop. In an alternative universe, the missile is launched, and the poison gas does its work.

June episode of David Vincent's monthly death.

Written for the Killing a character once a month of 2021 AO3 challenge.

David really isn't the kind to kill himself willingly –at least not without a huge build-up I have no chance of writing in a month. He could be hypnotised into it, or driven to it from sleep-deprivation in The Pit, but it would lose the main point of the 6th prompt (“Suicide”). So instead, here's something a little different from what I normally write. Enjoy. :-)

This story is also available on AO3.


From the moment she's been born, Ellie Markham has been confronted to the possibility of death. The situation on her home planet is steadily worsening, too slowly to be noticed on a daily basis, but too quickly to allow her a full natural lifespan. Coming to Earth to help with the invasion effort, then deciding to oppose a plan likely to backfire, has merely made the risk more acute. A change in intensity, not in nature. Ellie has always accepted potential death, whether other people's or her own.

What she didn't anticipate was to find herself feeling sympathy for her current ally of circumstances. As David Vincent kneels besides his dying friend, she stands behind him, unsure how to comfort him or even why she feels sorry for him. She doesn't react when he takes the gun from her hands, although the rage with which he executes her guilty compatriot makes her flinch –she half expects him to turn the weapon to her next. And as they expose Alquist's deception to Premier Halvorsen and Colonel Vanders, she almost forgets they are still ultimately enemies.

"I'll stop the launch myself," Halvorsen says, hurt by Alquist's betrayal even more than by his murderous intent itself.

But of course the alien won't let him. He lurches at the old human while his aide shoots Vanders.

As David goes to help Halvorsen, Ellie grabs his arm. "No time. We must stop the launch," she urges.

David agrees and the two of them dash into the staircase and lock the door behind them. Two small cars are waiting at the entrance to the corridor leading to the launch control room; David fires at the tires of one of them before joining Ellie in the other and driving as fast as he can.


The operator turns with a start as Ellie and David enter the room. "Who are–" he begins, his eyes widening in fear as he stares into the barrel of David's gun. He steps away from his seat, hands in the air.

Ellie rushes at the console panel without wasting a second, and flicks switches with increasing desperation while the seconds tick down menacingly above her. Noticing David's gaze turn to her, the operator tries to disarm him but his opponent promptly knocks him out.

"What's taking so long?" David asks Ellie.

"I can't guess Alquist's code and the controls aren't responding!" She doesn't even care if he believes she's playing for time, all her concentration is turned to her task.

She's thankful when David lets her work, but her efforts are doomed to fail. When the countdown reaches zero and the missile rises into the air, she lets her arms fall to her side and stands up slowly. She shakes her head in discouragement. "I'm sorry. I tried…"

She awaits a death that doesn't come: instead, David leads her back to the exit. "We still have a few minutes before the gas is released. We may still save the major world leaders if we get them to the helicopter," he asserts.

The thought of turning on him now it's too late to stop the attack doesn't even cross her mind –perhaps because he seems so trustful she's still going to help.


But of course, Alquist expects them to try. David and Ellie's last-ditch attempt is stopped dead in its tracks when they come face-to-face with him and his aide, and they have to run for their lives.

They've barely managed to shake off their pursuers when a fit of coughing grabs David. For one frozen second, he and Ellie lock eyes. "We may still have a chance to get to the helicopter," she finally says, although they both know how futile it probably is.

They don't even make it to the exit elevator. David's legs suddenly fail under him and he crumples on the floor. Ellie rushes to help him stand back up. "Lean on me," she tells him. "We're almost there."

He shakes his head. "There's no point," he says, and for the first time since she's met him, she detects fear and discouragement in his voice. He coughs again, and this time, it leaves him twitching uncontrollably.

Against all logic, she tries to push him to fight it. "Come on, David. You aren't one to give up."

"Ellie–" he begins. As he interrupts himself, she wonders why he isn't looking at her directly. The answer chills her: "I can't see anymore," he explains. "I won't make it."

The ensuing silence is solely broken by David's coughing. Ellie can only watch as he becomes weaker by the minute. She's never felt so powerless in her life.

After a while, David raises a weak hand to search the darkness surrounding him for a presence.

"I'm still here," she tries to reassure him.

He drops his hand. "Ellie…" he breathes, and she has to lean closer to hear him. "Why…?" Why are you helping me?, he probably means to ask. He forces himself to speak: "Why are you… staying?"

Truly, she doesn't know. Beyond their temporary alliance, he is an enemy, and hateful, and violent. Why did she keep hoping she could make him understand? Why is she spending time with him now when he'll soon be dead anyway? Why isn't she trying to convince Alquist to accept her back, as hopeless as the attempt would likely be? Why is she as bitter about the fate of one single human as for the chaos that awaits both peoples?

"Because you need a presence, and there's no-one else," she finally says.

For a moment, he doesn't react, and she wonders whether he's lost consciousness. Finally, he sighs, "Thank you."

She hesitates: what would a dying human feel comforting? She's never trained for this. For lack of a better idea, she puts a hand on his arm and squeezes gently. He doesn't try to speak, but he relaxes slightly.

"I'm sorry, David. For everything" she says quietly. For needing the Earth in the first place. For failing to stop this particular plot, for failing to save him. For all the suffering the war has caused and will continue to cause. "I wish things had gone differently."

Both of them stay silent, until Ellie suddenly realises David has stopped breathing. She feels his pulse and finding none, she removes her hand with a sad sigh. "Goodbye, David. I'm glad I had a chance to know you."

A shadow looming over her makes her turn her head and look up. Alquist.

"Miss Markham. It's time to pay the price for your treason."

When he raises his gun, she doesn't try to fight.

THE END

[^]



Laura+web@Espezon.org

The Invaders fanfictions.
My home page (in French).
Last update: 30th June 2021.