For a Brother
The Invaders fanfiction



Disclaimer: The Invaders, its universe and characters belong to their legal owners, who unfortunately aren't me. This is an unofficial fanfiction that is not officially endorsed in any way. It was written solely for enjoyment and I make no money with it.

Title
For a Brother
Status
Completed (31st August 2021)
Genre
Science-fiction
Rating / warnings
Like the series itself: implied death.
Spoilers
Spoilers for Wall of Crystal.
Characters
David Vincent, Dr Robert "Bob" Vincent, Taugus
Summary

When the aliens kidnap and threaten David Vincent's brother Bob, he is left with little choice but to offer his life in exchange.

August episode of David Vincent's monthly death. Alternative ending for Wall of Crystal, in which Theodore Booth doesn't come to the abandoned winery.

Written for the Killing a character once a month of 2021 AO3 challenge, with the following prompt:

8. "Sacrifice" - Ever seen the movie Titanic, where Jake allows Rose onto the broken ship part instead of himself, so that she can live? Well, here your character will get their heroic moment too. Is it their boyfriend or girlfriend? Daughter, son? Mother, father, sibling? Or just their best friend? Who knows, maybe it's even their life-time bully? Only important thing is that they're pure in their heart, well aware that doing this… it might save their loved one. But it will cost them.

This story is also available on AO3.


The last thing Bob Vincent had expected was his brother offering his life in exchange for Bob's. He shouldn't have been surprised, though, when David had fought relentlessly to expose the aliens despite all the scorn and hostility he'd received from rational people. From Bob. David had never faltered in his fight to save humanity, whatever the cost to himself. This was merely the culmination of months of self-sacrifice.

If anything, Taugus, the lead alien, was even more surprised by David's offer. He listened with doubt but interest; but of course, Bob flat out refused to let his brother be murdered, let alone to sully his memory by claiming David had been committed to a mental institution and died of natural causes.

When Bob reiterated his firm refusal to trade David's life for his own, David clenched his jaw and turned back to Taugus. "Look, it's the only way, for both of us."

"Your brother just said–"

"I know what he said!" David snapped. "But he'll have no choice but to play along once you've killed me."

Bob pushed forwards at these words, only for the alien guard to restrain him more forcefully. "David, no, I won't accept that. If they kill you, I'll take up the fight. I'll go to Booth and tell him everything I've seen–"

"And then what do you think they'll do?" David interrupted. His glare bore into the aliens –not that they cared.

Taugus smiled without warmth. "I'm afraid we would have to threaten your wife again," he told Bob. "The psychological and physical stress would be… inadvisable for someone in her condition. As a doctor, I'm sure you'll agree."

Bob flinched at the memory of Grace suffocating on the other side of the glass, and he deflated. He couldn't let her and their unborn son suffer again at the aliens' hands. He just couldn't. He lowered his gaze in defeat.

David's unadulterated hatred for the aliens gave way to a rare display of warmth as he looked to his brother. "It's okay, Bob. It's my choice."

Bob raised his eyes back to him. "David, about everything I said to you earlier, I…" He chocked on his words. None of this might have happened if only he'd listened to David's warnings. If he'd accepted to believe. But no, he'd been too caught up in his certitudes and his frustrations, and he'd rejected and insulted him. His own brother, who was now sacrificing his life for him. Bob could never look at himself in the mirror again. "David, I'm sorry," he breathed.

"I know."

David took a step towards Bob; after a silent nod from Taugus, the alien guard released his prisoner to allow the two brothers to hug.

In fear of losing his resolve, David quickly pulled away with an aching smile. "Take care of Grace and my nephew."

Pleased with the situation, Taugus called out to his subordinates out of view inside the winery: "Drive Dr Vincent back home," he instructed. "We have come to a satisfactory agreement with Mr Vincent."

Soon enough, two aliens in human clothes drove a car out of a porch and stopped beside the group. The passenger stepped out and pointed a gun at Bob, who, after a wordless look to David, climbed in.

As they drove him away, Bob looked back to David for as long as he could see him.


Once the car had disappeared from their view, Taugus turned back to David. "Human emotion never fails to amaze me," he mocked. His voice became more neutral to add, "If it's any comfort, Mr Vincent, you did the right thing to protect your brother and his lovely wife." As David responded with a silent but hateful glower, the alien elaborated, "We have no interest in harming them, as long as your brother keeps to his side of the bargain." He grinned. "I trust he won't want to put his pregnant wife through such unpleasant events again."

David clenched his fists; all he had left to stop himself from collapsing in despair was his anger and hatred of the invader. Could he trust Taugus' word? Obviously not. All he could trust was the alien's self-interest not to risk Bob picking up the fight again. "Until you release your crystals and suffocate everyone," he muttered.

Taugus shrugged. "The transformation of the atmosphere will be a long and slow process in any case. Be reassured your brother and his family still have many months ahead of them. Probably even years." His lips widened into a slimy smile. "Now, how would you prefer we proceed, Mr Vincent?"

"Just get it over with," David replied through gritted teeth.

The guard raised his vaporiser and was happy to oblige.

THE END

[^]



Laura+web@Espezon.org

The Invaders fanfictions.
My home page (in French).
Last update: 31st August 2021.